Thursday, August 03, 2006

On My Way to L.A. -- Jay

Tomorrow...it begins. The 35th Annual SCBWI National Conference. Why do I go there, year after year? For the writing tips? Sure. The networking? Absolutely. But mostly...the inspiration. Being around creative people is such a boost to my own creativity. Watching friends slowly peel off into the Published category makes me work that much harder.

And yet, year after year, my wife hands me a written message as I’m on my way out the door that is all the inspiration I need. Usually it’s a card that I keep in my bag and carry with me throughout the conference. This year her note read, in part: Have fun being you & doing what you love. This journey has truly been amazing to watch & it’s just getting started!!

With all the ups and downs this process has brought, all the times I thought publication was just around the corner only to have nothing come of it, it’s nice to know she finds the process amazing to watch. It’s frustrating to me, but an amazing journey to her. And that helps.

(To Eve and Robin, sorry about all the sappiness dripping from your computer screen.)

So what’s been the coolest addition to my amazing journey? Remember that fortune cookie from my last post? It said I should watch for a new relationship to develop within the month. Well, with just 24 minutes to spare till the end of last month, an agent sent me an e-mail saying she was interested in representing my YA. We scheduled a phonecall for when I get back from the conference. And if it all works out, I’m going back to that Chinese restaurant and I’m crackin’ some more cookies.

- Jay

Oops...before I leave, I can’t forget my fishnet stockings.
Don’t worry, we’ll show you the pictures!

3 comments:

SilberBook-Blog said...

I don't know - sappiness wears well, especially when it's about the support system that keeps us all afloat. Without notes tucked wherever, like your wife's, I think we'd all be flipping burgers...really good burgers by the way - with great surprise endings!

Dreams need notes. And you can quote me!

G'luck with the "agent thang".

alan

Disco Mermaids said...

Dreams need notes. I think I will quote that. Thank you.

- Jay (an ex-burger flipper and ex-taco filler)

Anonymous said...

Fishnets? I was jealous before, but now I'm kicking myself for not making it out to LA. I can't wait to see the pictures, and I second the G'luck!

--Jessica