Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Saloon Girls -- Jay

at the 2006 SCBWI National Conference
Jade Jubilee
- we tied for first place in the costume contest! -
- - -
The SCBWI 2006
National Conference
Coolest Awards

Coolest Coincidence - ran into the Hyperion editor I recently submitted my YA manuscript to; he just happened to be in the middle of reading my manuscript and, luckily, I think I made a good impression
Coolest Brain Pickin’ Opportunity - got to speak with Debby Garfinkle and Tammi Sauer; both authors are represented by the agent who recently offered me representation…and I’m taking her up on that offer
Coolest Video - Jarrett J. Krosoczka’s hilarious/touching/inspiring conclusion to what was already an awesome speech; he received a well-deserved standing ovation
Coolest Dance Proposal - when no one was stepping into the dance circle, Sarah Darer Littman asked me to take the leap with her…and I do mean “leap”...we were up on a stage and jumped down into the circle before gettin' jiggy (and the girl can dance!); if there’s ever a companion to Fuse #8’s Hot Men of Children’s Literature, Sarah’s definitely got the credentials to be the first Hot Woman of Children’s Lit.
Absolutely, Positively the Coolest - not only is his Sid Fleishcman Humor Award winning book hilarious, but David LaRochelle is one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met
deCoolest - Tomie dePaola; he loves The dePaola Code…we love him
Coolest Caldecott Winner - D.D., which stands for David Diaz (or as he calls himself, “Double D-licious”)
Coolest Caldecott Honor Winner - Mo Willems; in less than a minute, over 600 people learned how to draw his pigeon perfectly (I’ve already written and illustrated Don’t Let the Pigeon Operate Heavy Machinery While Under the Influence of Alcohol and Don’t Let the Pigeon Sit on the Statue)
Coolest Blogger - we have a tie: Lisa Yee and Gregory K; I’m still amazed Lisa asked us to speak in her workshop (it will forever be a highlight in my children’s lit. career); if Greg wasn’t so dang cool and deserving, I might be jealous of him and his blog-produced two-book deal (okay, I’m still a teensy bit jealous)
Coolest Disco Mermaid - also a tie: Robin and Eve; you convinced me not to freak out before making my drag queen debut at the Jade Jubilee; you convinced me not to freak out before my speaking debut in Lisa’s workshop; I absolutely, positively love you both
- Jay

16 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

You three were WONDERFUL. Not only are you master bloggers, you are magnificent speakers as well.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. And thankyou.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pics! But, Jay, you're a little too pretty.

Jay, congrats on getting the World's Best Agent who has the World's Finest Clients.

I loved seeing you three over the weekend. You are my favorite Disco Mermaids of them all. Miss you already!

Anonymous said...

You guys rock. What a fabulous conference. I agree with all the comments. This being my 8th national, I found the level of workshops much higher. I was able to pick the brains of many on contracts, promotions and school visits. This time it seems we had many more hand outs, which I like to take home and file for later.

Eve gave me the courage to approach an editor,
who for the last month, had a requested rewrite of mine.

It was truely a cinderella moment when I walked up to him and he introduced me as one of his authors.
It took the best of me not to burst into tears.

So after 12 years of redoing this manuscript in every form, 1st, 3rd, diary, it has found a home.

I am a child of the SCBWI. Thank you all for your love and support.

fusenumber8 said...

Mo once mentioned that he'd received a suggestion to write, "Don't Let the Pigeon Audit Your Neighbor". It remains my favorite unwritten book to this date.

cynthea said...

Alright, you all seriously inspired me enough to actually get an ID on blogspot so I can sing your praises without having to fill out the freaking form all the time.

Congrats on your win!

Jay, Eve, Robin...When can I borrow those outfits?!

Disco Mermaids said...

Thank you, Lisa. We actually got to speak at the conference without selling a single book!

Debby, you ain't so bad yourself! I'm glad we're now related-by-agent.

Jaded Showgirl, you are a true rockstar. Congrats on the contract!

Fuse, I can't tell you how many times your blog was brought up in our workshop...in fact, throughout the entire conference. Quite a not-so-little following you've got.

Ms. Spin, it was wonderful to hang out with you, as well. Next year, we're gonna get you in some fishnets!

- Jay

Don Tate II said...

It was great to meet ya'll! I don't think I'll forgot those costumes anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

This is what I've been waiting for! Thanks for posting the pic--you all look LOVELY. Congrats!!

Paula said...

OMG, where have I been? Jay, you have an agent now?

Darn edits are eating into my blog reading. ha, ha!

-P

Unknown said...

I may have pictures of you guys from the party! Will let you know if any come out.

I found your blog through Lisa Yee right before the conference and I'm already a devotee. Huge kudos to all three of you!

Greg Pincus said...

Great recap... and I like how you kinda downplay the whole agent thang. So, uh, I say very quietly "CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT."

Y'all rock, as if that picture alone doesn't prove it?

Disco Mermaids said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow Robin, Jay and Eve!

You guys have been busy. I usually swing by the Disco Mermaid Saloon about once a month and sip quietly in the shadows because I'm in recovery for Blog Addiction, BUT so much has happened to you all in the past month that I feel I should stand up at the bar and shout, "Drinks all around!" Congratulations for everything! I missed the conference this year, but it sounds like it was fantastic as usual.

The Disco Mermaids are on your way. And thanks for the picture. Jay, who knew blond so becomes you? As my daughter would say, "That's a banging hairstyle!"

Meesh

Disco Mermaids said...

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It was wonderful to finally meet so many of you face-to-face at the conference. And for those who didn't attend...there's always next year!

I must say, Ms. Blusher, after we got off the dance floor, I remember thinking, "Was I even paying attention to the beat or was I just flailing around?"

- Jay

Anonymous said...

Yay!

Every agency needs a token saloon girl in drag!

Anonymous said...

Hot dog, Jay! Congratulations on the agent! I am delighted for you!

And I will have to return to the conference next year if only to see what fab-u-lous costumes the Disco Mermaids come up with next time (not to mention to catch up with all the friends I made at the conference this year).

It was a sincere treat visiting with you.

David LaRochelle