Tuesday, September 25, 2007

525,600 Minutes -- Jay

One year ago today, my agent left me a voicemail asking me to call her back because we’d just received an offer on Thirteen Reasons Why (though it had a different title at the time).

The year since then has flown by faster than any I can remember, and I’ve learned more about myself in the past 365 days than ever before. Now we’re down to three-and-a-half weeks till the book is released, and I just wanted to take today to say thank you to Kristen, Robin & Eve, and JoanMarie.

I can not imagine a better editor for this project than Kristen Pettit. I don’t use air-quotes very often, but Kristen definitely “got” this book. From the subject matter to the characters, we were always on the same page. If only I'd gotten more sleep, the editing process would've been perfect.

And it would’ve been impossible to ask for a more beautiful and enthusiastic cheering squad than Robin and Eve. One thing about doing a group blog where we each post once a week is that a lot can happen between posts, and it’s always tempting to share the most exciting or cool or quirky news first. But Robin and Eve know the rest of the story. I can’t even count how many interventions they held (always at Linnaea’s Café) when I needed a pick-me-up this past year.

Finally, there’s a reason Thirteen Reasons Why is dedicated to my wife, JoanMarie. And even though I submitted the dedication page about ten months ago, that reason hasn’t wavered.

- Jay


BONUS POST: On Sunday, I got to touch a hardcover copy of my book for the very first time. It was absolutely beautiful. But get this! It wasn't a copy Penguin sent to me. And I didn’t find it in a bookstore. No, my dad found it on eBay.

It’s amazing what you can get for $0.99 + S&H.

16 comments:

Wild About Words said...

Jay,

That was a beautiful post.

Thank YOU for sharing your journey with us. Here's hoping the best is yet to come.

Donna

Mac McCool said...

In On Writing, Stephen King has a touching passage about dedications to spouses in first books! Sounds like JoanMarie deserves every bit of hers!

What exciting times, Jay!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Time flies when you are having fun! Savor the moments! Also, thanks for the inspiration.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

YAY!
I can't wait to go buy your book! Thanks for keeping us (virtually) part of the journey,

Namaste,

Lee

Disco Mermaids said...

Jay,
Eve and I love being your personal cheering squad and we'll continue to do that until you say stop.
(Even though these little cheerleading outfits you make us wear are getting kinda itchy.)

-Robin

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing the 10-minute version of your journey next month at CLU.

Greg

LindaBudz said...

Ooohhh, I'm guessing you've started a virtual stampede over at e-Bay! Like those crazy moms trying to grab the last Tickle Me Elmo off the shelves all those years ago!

Rachel said...

Jay! I had the biggest smile reading your post. I was in your workshop "Creating A Buzz" a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to tell you that you were great and totally entertaining. You better get over your nerves because you're a great speaker!

Disco Mermaids said...

Nerves? Nah...that was all part of my act, Rachel.

Okay, so I really did have to sing Eye of the Tiger before I entered the room. But at least I didn't have to picture everyone in their underwear. Cuz remember those two guys in the front row?

That would've freaked me out for sure!

- Jay

Laini Taylor said...

Jay, you have some fabulous women in your life! Three & a half weeks -- so soon! So exciting! Can't wait to see what this year holds for you, Jay. And so funny you already found a hardcover on ebay. How'd that happen??

Laini Taylor said...

P.S. I just wrote my bizarre word verification word down in one of my notebooks as a potential villain name some day. Ha ha. Thanks for that!

Heather said...

That was lovely! And congratulations!

Don Tate II said...

eBay?!

Disco Mermaids said...

It's like Sotheby's...but less snooty.

- Jay

Anonymous said...

I just received the new razorbill catalog and Thirteen Reasons Why has a lovely two page spread. Congratulations!
- a Massachusetts librarian

Sarah Darer Littman said...

I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon about a month ago! I can't WAIT to read it.

And as always, when you write about Joan-Marie I get all farklempt.