Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bathroom Epiphanies -- Jay

In reference to my last post, I'm over it. I gave myself till the end of February to finish my YA, only to be without a computer for eight days.

But it's all good. It's all better than good.

I finished my manuscript on February 28th at 11:13pm...with 47 minutes to spare! If I had my computer those eight days, I probably would've ripped through the last few chapters, typing them exactly as I'd imagined them. Instead, I reconsidered my ending. I was happy with my ending, but I suddenly had time to reconsider it just for fun.

So where did I do this reconsidering? Well...

My greatest epiphanies occur in the bathroom. This one, lucky for you, happened in the shower. It was freezing in the house so I blasted the hot water. Because I didn't want to leave the warmth right away, I spent a few minutes standing there, thinking about my book. What if I did this instead of that? Hmm...could work. And what if, because I did that, I now do this? Wow! That's good. That's better than good.

At that moment, I smiled. And then I laughed out loud. I often laugh out loud in the bathroom, so my wife didn't think much of it.

I couldn't believe it. Because my computer went down, I actually came up with a better ending. So if they ever invent a waterproof computer, I'm writing all of my books in the shower.

- Jay

3 comments:

Amy C. Moreno said...

Jay..You know..I wouldn't be suprised if someone HAS invented some sort of computer screen that can be inserted into a shower wall...If not...I'll bet they will...
It seems the best ideas do take place in the shower...someone once recommended one of those eraser type pens...the kind you can wipe off of plastic...for the shower..I'm going to use one to write down my ideas there.

Paula said...

Oh if only my great ideas came in the shower. At least you can hop out and write it down.

My best ideas come in the middle of the night when I'm in the midst of sound sleep. Suddenly a brillant thought comes and I'm too dang tired to get up and write it down.

I have been known to sleep walk to the office a few nights to capture them. But rarely.

Congrats Jay!

Disco Mermaids said...

I think a "shower invention" that would really take off is a Karaoke showerhead. How cool would that be?

- Jay