Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Way Too Embarrassing -- Jay

Lunch today was pretty interesting. Robin and I went to a costume shop to get ideas for this year’s Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators national conference. The theme for the after hours party is Jade Jubilee. If you click Disco! and Mermaids! under our Biggest Hits list, you’ll see what we wore the previous two years.

Our criteria for this year:
1. Jade...obviously.
2. The three of us need to match.
3. No wigs. Dancing + Wigs = Way too much sweat.
4. Cross-dressing is fun!

We thought we’d found the perfect costumes. Robin went into the dressing room first.

“Are you dressed?” I asked.
“Uh...yeah,” she said.
“Can I see?” I asked.
“Uh...no,” she said.
So I begged. I pleaded.
And finally, she opened the door.
“Uh...no,” I said.

Let’s just say, if I wore a costume that short, people would be able to tell I wasn’t a real woman from a mile away (okay, maybe not a full mile).

In the end, we did find three matching costumes that fit our criteria...and these costumes will be a lot less drafty.

- Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you guys. But I've had my costume picked out for at least a month now!

- Jamie

Disco Mermaids said...

I've heard from a lot of people who plan on dressing up this year. It should be fun! I'll make sure I have tons of room for pics on my camera.

- Jay