Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It's That Time of Year -- Robin

Yep, it’s that time again. Time for mistletoe and holly and candy canes. But when you’re a parent, it’s also time for…the questions.

Usually the questions come in groups of two or three and the answers are simple and we can move on quickly to eating our candy canes. But this year, my son is six-and-a-half, so the questions came fast and furious. And I was completely unprepared…

• Will Santa visit our house this year?
• And Uncle Buddy’s house, too?
• Even Georgia?
• How does he visit everyone’s house in one night?
• Is he magic?
• Was he always magic?
• Was he born magic?
• Does Santa have a mommy and a daddy?
• Does Santa have brothers and sisters?
• Is Santa married?
• Do they have kids?
• Why not?
• Why don’t they just have their own kids?
• Was Santa born from his mommy’s tummy?
• Right after Santa was born from his mommy’s tummy, what did she do?
• Why?
• But why?
• But…but why do we need to go to church more often now?
• Oh.
• Can I have some juice?

So I feel bad saying this, but I’m a little concerned about Easter now. (And if anyone out there knows what Santa’s mommy did right after he was born from her tummy, please let me know. I’m at a loss here!!!)

- Robin

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she called the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny and had them come over for a party.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Handed the tyke over the the elf wet nurse, of course.

Miriam Forster said...

She wrapped him in a fur trimmed red blanket and gave him a stuffed candy cane to play with?

It could be worse. :-) My friend's son wrote his letter to Santa this year in code, and didn't tell his mom the code. (she later figured it out)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Just read somethign liek this on Suzanne Young's blog.

my daughter is 4.91 years old. she asked me why she could not see santa.

I said - sometimes we have to believe in things that we dont understand or cant see - like fairies or god. Everyone believes in something different - its what you believe that matters.

scary questions though.never sure how to handle them.

shelli
http://www.faeriality.blogspot.com/

Christy Raedeke said...

My mother took us to a Santa Claus breakfast on Saturday and "Santa" made the rounds at all the tables. When he knelt down in between my children, my five-year old yanked on his (real) long white beard and said dryly, "Yep, this is the real one. That guy at the mall is a big fake."

This time of year always has me on pis and needles about fibbing...

Anonymous said...

She said to her husband Howard (Claus): " He's so cute he just sleighs me...now there's an idea."

Freddy

Disco Mermaids said...

Great answers everyone. Thanks! And Sarah, I bet no one has ever said the words, "hand the tyke over to the elf wet nurse." Hilarious!!

And Freddy, thanks for your punny contribution. (And for being a great dad. Love you!)

-Robin

Anonymous said...

After santa was born and as he grew, his mama was so proud that he was kind, thoughtful and giving.
there was never anyone he knew that did not have what they needed. sometimes he gave what was his to someone nice. Santa was always a good child.

Graeme Stone said...

I'm sensing a book in all these questions and replies... (you have to say this in a sing-songey voice as if being inspired by the ether). Seriously, I don't have kids, and live a parents' life vicariously through my sister and brother (3 kids each), but there is a wonderful symbiotic loop around children who ask questions of their parents, and their parents who ask questions of their friends. The answers are as funny as the questions. And it all beautifully points back to the philosophy of Santa which of course is the essence of most religions: believe, give, and receive.