Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sophomoronic -- Jay

In high school, I was a music junkie. When I got my first job, the first thing I figured out was how many CDs I’d be able to buy with each paycheck. The fun part was discovering a new band before they made it big, then watching their first album take off.

And then came the dreaded second album. Few bands ever topped their brilliant debuts. It was called the sophomore slump and it made absolute sense. Most bands toured for years, performing and perfecting dozens of original songs. When it came time to choose ten to twelve for their first album, it was like releasing a greatest hits package. But second albums usually felt rushed, uninspired, or like knock-offs of the smash debut.

The same goes for books...and it’s freaking me out!

I started writing Thirteen Reasons Why in early 2003 and took my sweet time with it. For the first couple of years I only worked on it when I felt inspired. During that time, I started and finished a middle grade novel, three early chapter books, and several picture books. Though I knew I would eventually finish my teen novel, it felt like I had all the time in the world.

But now I have till June to write a first draft for my second novel. Why? Because it’s part of the contract. All those things I used to hate about second albums are swirling in my head right now. I’m currently reading the debut novels and follow-ups of some of the most known names in teen literature to see what they did right...and more specifically, what they didn’t. Let me tell you, the follow-up I’m reading now is teaching me so much!

I’ve narrowed my follow-up down to three story ideas. All three of them would be challenging and fun to write. But all three might be too challenging to write in the amount of time it normally takes me to write a picture book. So there’s that issue. But I also want to make sure the teens who read my follow-up because they enjoyed the first book are satisfied.

I guess what I’m saying is...Aaaargh!

- Jay

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy lightbulb, Batman, I'd LOVE to have three good ideas to choose from.

So, are you going to outline first?

Hey people, I think this is where we are supposed to cheer Jay on. Although you have the talented Robin and Eve in your corner, which is more than a lot of us have.

Anyway...

You can do it, Jay!!!!!
GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought:

If you are feeling ornery, pick a direction you aren't sure of and have your main character tell you why he doesn't like it, without deleting expletives. That will wake you up and move you on to the beginning of route 66! (which is either the Santa Monica Pier or Chicago, depending on which star you follow.)

Rev up, Jay, once you are on the road there is always a place to get that toothbrush you forgot. You've proven you have the fuel already!

(0kay, i'm done with the metaphor thing.)

~Thalia

Janette Rallison said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've had the same thoughts about follow up books and second albums. (And lets not even talk about movies, which are even worse!) This is why I've always sworn I'd never write a sequel to any of my novels. . .except that I just did . . . and yes I'm worried that it suffers from sequel-itis. I chose a different main character to try and ward off the disease, but I'm still not sure of the results . . .

But that doesn't mean your second book will be brilliant.

You go, Jay.

Janette

Vivian Mahoney said...

That's so amazing...you get another chance to have your adoring fans fall in love with your characters again! Remember, there are alot of bands, solo artists and authors out there who have had great 2nd albums and books too! Your publisher clearly has faith in you, why else the 2nd book in the contract!? Your characters have a story to tell. Listen to them carefully. You're on your way. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're gonna be like Led Zeppelin or the Stones - all classics for years to come. Lamy