Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Next Week's Probably Gonna Suck -- Jay

This week, I was handed a whole bunch o' good news. For starters, my editor informed me that Thirteen Reasons Why was heading into its second printing. And that’s awesome because it had a very nice first printing of 40,000 copies! Basically, that means there are already enough books in print to give one copy to every person in Lima, Ohio…or Jefferson City, Missouri…or Fairbanks, Alaska. But now, citizens in neighboring towns will have a chance to read my book, as well.

Note: I chose those three cities because, as of today, I haven’t personally heard from any readers there. So Lima, Jefferson, and Fairbanks...I’m putting you on notice!

Next, I learned that Thirteen Reasons Why was placed onto three very cool lists by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA):

  • Best Books for Young Adults
  • Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
  • Selected Audiobooks for Young Adults

It's impossible to fully describe how thrilled I am to have my book added to those lists. But the most exciting part for me is knowing that librarians think I wrote something a reluctant reader will find interesting.

Okay. Bring on next week. I’m ready!

- Jay

20 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

Whoa, the good news is pouring in. Congratulations!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Maybe next week will be even better!

Congratulations on all of it, Jay. You deserve all that good news and more.

~Mrs. Stu said...

Congratulations, Jay on your much deserved success!

(Whistles, screams, & Hoo-rahs from Slapout, Alabama! Which by the way does NOT have 40,000 people.)

I am sure the second printing will be even more amazing! Stay inspired and keep 'em coming!

~Aimes

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Jay, congrats on all the list-making! I'm so happy for you! And a 2nd printing already! YAY!!! Maybe my library will get another copy.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I can think of 40,000 Reasons Why Jay Needs to Celebrate.

CJ Omololu said...

Yay! Go Jay!

Richly deserved.

gail said...

Congratulations!! Here's to more!

gail

Lisa Schroeder said...

A second printing - three of an author's favorite words!!!

Congrats Jay!

Anonymous said...

Yippee!

Congratulations.

Disco Mermaids said...

Ahh... Your comments are sustaining the non-suckiness of this week.

Thank you!

- Jay

LindaBudz said...

Why are we not surprised? Congratulations, Jay!

Natalie said...

Woo hoo! x 40,000, of course!

Emily Jiang said...

CONGRATS JAY! I loved your book, and the awards and second printing are well-deserved.

Sarah Beth Durst said...

Yay! Great news, Jay! Congrats on the second printing and all the lists!

JenFW said...

Yo-hey, Jay. I'm from Alaska. Not from Fairbanks, but I would say a rural location where we have about 50 kids in a K-12 school that overlooks a glacier trumps boring old frigid Fairbanks, wouldn't you?

You're on the map in AK, dude.

Disco Mermaids said...

My book's in a school which overlooks a glacier!?!?

That is so cool!

- Jay

(My book can now cross #7 off its bucket list.)

Mac McCool said...

So it's next week now! Was your prediction right?
;-D

Disco Mermaids said...

Thanks for checking back, Mac!

And in my short career as a published author, truthfully, this week has totally sucked.

So, as of this week, my post titles will no longer be in the speculation business.

But thanks for asking! :-)

- Jay

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

But now, citizens in neighboring towns will have a chance to read my book, as well.

LOL! You're such a dork, Jay -- but so funny too! Congrats!