Friday, April 14, 2006

Hangin' Out With My Inner Child -- Jay

After a half-hour of walking around Blockbuster, my wife, my brother, and I could not agree on a movie. Of course, we were only looking at DVDs. But there are so many movies still available solely on VHS...especially when it comes to TV movies...from the 1980s! I’m talking about 1985’s Poison Ivy, starring Michael J. Fox. When we were younger, my brother and I taped that movie and watched it more than almost any other movie. The plot, according to Internet Movie Database: Two teenage summer camp counselors struggle with their younger campers, providing a variety of humorous situations and romantic encounters.

It had been two decades, yet it seemed like I last watched Poison Ivy just yesterday. Every line of dialogue was on the tip of my tongue. Every movement the characters made was on the tip of my...eyeball. It was so much fun! And also a shocking time capsule of society. The beautiful camp counselor was, by today’s standards, rather plain. The aggression between competing campers was, by today’s standards, rather tame.

When the movie was over, my wife said she got quite a look into my childhood. She pointed out that some of the themes and characters have subtly made their way into my books. She was right. Watching that movie reminded me of why I like to write the stories I do. And it reminded me of the emotions and experiences I hope to pass on to my readers.

- Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you love The Goonies, too?

Disco Mermaids said...

Did I love the Goonies? There is no way to tell you how much I loved the Goonies. For my 29th B-Day, my wife threw me a surprise Goonies party. Everyone dressed as pirates and then we all sat around and watched it. Actually, I think that was Eve's first time seeing it. And one of my great joys in life is watching someone experience it for the first time.

Goonies never say die!

- Jay