Friday, April 27, 2007

Don't be a Dumb Writer

Be a smart writer!

SmartWriters.com is now accepting entries for its 2007 Write-It-Now! Competition. The judges are cool. The prizes are cool. The doors that could open for you are cool.

Everything...is...just...so...cool!

We've long considered the SmartWriters staff to be members of the extended (though close-knit) Disco Mermaid family. In 2005, Eve earned an honorable mention in the mid-grade category. In 2004, Jay earned third place in the picture book category and first place in YA (which then moved on to win the Grand Prize). In fact, Jay got Chris Crutcher to blurb Thirteen Reasons Why because Mr. Crutcher was the YA judge the year that manuscript won.

So enter today, because you never know...

10 comments:

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Thanks for the reminder! I am now officially registered! If I am a WINner, I'll be sure to mention you in my acceptance speech :-)

Natalie said...

I entered last year, and second the Disco Mermaids' recommendation. At the very least, it's a great incentive to polish your synopsis and first 1,000 words!

gail said...

Hey, I got third in the illustration category last year. Maybe I better enter again and go for that "Grand Prize". :) Let's see, I still have a couple of weeks. I wonder how close I can cut the deadline this time?

Thanks for the reminder.
gail

Disco Mermaids said...

Tell ya what, if you leave a comment in this post and your manuscript or illustration at least gets an honorable mention, we'll send ya a free copy of Jay's Thirteen Reasons Why.

heidi said...

jay, you're a shameless self-promoter! well done!

Anonymous said...

Yo, Jay! Check out Kristin Nelson's blog today...

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/04/joe-schmoo-agent.html

LindaBudz said...

You mean Jay writes PBs too? Award winning ones? I am sooo impressed.

Congrats to both of you.

Heading over to the Smart Writers site now ....

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Okay, okay. I never enter contests, but I think I will do it this time! Congrats on all your successes. The 3 of you are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't planning to enter this year (even though I placed the last two years and highly recommend entering for newbies). Now I'm feeling conflicted!

Thanks for the reminder and incentive!

gail said...

Disco Mermaids said...

Tell ya what, if you leave a comment in this post and your manuscript or illustration at least gets an honorable mention, we'll send ya a free copy of Jay's Thirteen Reasons Why.

I'll be happy to take you up on that! I got an Honorable Mention in the Picture Book category!!
Smartwriters.com

WooHoo!
gail