Wednesday, May 09, 2007

All Mermaid and No Disco Makes Robin a Dull Girl -- Robin

I finished the rewrite of my middle grade novel. Woo-hoo! It’s off to my Super Awesome Agent and out of my hands. Which means my hands are free to do whatever they please! Woo-hoo!

The first thing I did with my free hands was hug my husband for doing the dishes and kind of doing the laundry for the past two weeks. (Thank goodness my son likes his dark blue shorts so much.)

Then I picked up the phone and called my fellow Mermaids to tell them I was finished…that I needed to celebrate…that it was time for the Disco Mermaids to hit the town!!

And how did they respond?

Jay: Can’t. Gotta write.

Eve: Um, yeah, see, you know I love you, but see, um, you know how, like, I’m rewriting my novel too, and um, you know I love you, right? For reals…seriously…I can’t. Gotta write. Love you! You complete me! Have fun all by yourself!

So there I was. Just a single solitary Mermaid out on the town celebrating her accomplishments with no one by her side. Where was the love? The support? The lack of responsibility?

But I didn’t care. It was time to party.

I happily sat down in the coffee shop of a local bookstore and sipped a lovely extra-hot latte while reading the latest Cosmo from cover to cover. (Did you know they have discovered six new ways to please your partner that will blow their mind!? Me neither.)

After I took lots of notes, I put my Cosmo away and engaged in some serious retail therapy. And $64 later, I was healed.

Now I’m off to do the rest of the laundry and hug my husband again for dragging in all those bags from the car. It ain’t like Eve and Jay will do it…

- Robin
(who really loves Eve and Jay and respects that they love writing more than a friendship that might’ve lasted a lifetime)

21 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

Whoa there, girlie!

Who resisted bothering you for the last few weeks while you were revising like mad? US. And who didn't make you go to the movies or the Reggae concert or the O.C. because we knew you needed to write? US. And who cooked you food and bathed your kid and gassed up your car when you had no time because you had to write? Um, I guess that was your husband...but still!

So sorry. I will make it up to you after this weekend...I promise to never choose writing over you again. At least until my next novel. Sorry!

Love you,
You complete me,
Evie
(don't be hatin')

Anonymous said...

Oh Robin, I JUST sent my revisions to my editor. Like 5 minutes ago! Let's meet. Eat cupcakes! Par-tay!

Oh yeah. I don't live down there in Mermaidland. And there's that work thing I have to do today. And every week day.

Crap. Well, I'm partying with ya in spirit.

CONGRATS!!!

Anonymous said...

And I've been between projects all week. Too bad we didn't live closer. Come down to The O.C. and we'll celebrate! Um, but do it today cuz I'm expecting a revision letter tomorrow.

My husband asked me to ask you about that Cosmo article. I told him it wasn't important.

Congrats on finishing your rewrite!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Cosmo, coffee and shopping all alone! Party on, Wayne.

Congrats on finishing!

CW

Disco Mermaids said...

It's nice to have support in the extended writing world! If only we could all get our agents and editors to synchronize their deadlines so we could all celebrate on a regular schedule.

And Evie, thanks so much for NOT taking me to the concert or to beautiful, sunny So Cal. Really. I feel the love.

:-) Hugs,
Robin

CJ Omololu said...

Come up and party with me! Oh wait...I'm in the middle of a rewrite.

Friends are nice and all, but it's your credit card that will see you through. Remember that when the uber agent makes the big sale. Whoo Hoo to you too!

Lisa Yee said...

Hoorah for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Robin! I know that sucks when you want to celebrate and everyone is busy. If I was there I would have gone out for lattes with you for sure--uh, in between all my other stuff, uh, maybe I wouldn't have had time either. But congrats! (And get a babysitter and take hubby out to dinner. Sounds like you two should celebrate together!)

*heidi
seaheidi.livejournal.com
(my bloggy thing doesn't work anymore)

Emily Jiang said...

Congrats, Robin! That's a wonderful milestone and definitely deserves a shopping spree!!

LindaBudz said...

You? Dull? With your extra-hot latte, your Cosmo and your $64 shopping spree? You've got my entire weekend beat right there.

Congrats on finishing!

Disco Mermaids said...

Okay, I just had to go take a look at that Cosmo...and now I think I'm gonna feel uncomfortable around you for awhile.

Wow!

- Jay

Disco Mermaids said...

The article just said "please your partner"... not your writing partner.

So sorry, Jay.

-Robin

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This is the Blog-Police. You have been accused of deviating a little too far from the approved subject matter of your blog site.

Perhaps you and Jay should take this convo off the public blogosphere and into a more private setting.

Thank you for your attention, and in the future please keep your smutty minds and comments out of a Kid-Lit blog!

(You guys should set more of an example of professionalism...like Evie!)

Good day.

Greg Pincus said...

Congrats, indeed, Robin. And celebrating can wait. Really. I think you should celebrate slowly over, say, the next month or so rather than getting to work on anything else!

What? That's not a good idea?

Oh.

Whatever. Just come to LA, and I promise I'd take a break to have lattes with ya

Natalie said...

Robin, Congratulations on finishing your revisions--woo hoo! Since I missed the celebration this time, you'll have to come to Italy when you sell your book, and I'll treat you to a caffè latte.

Okay, and some gelato. And wine, too--can't forget the wine. Oh, and Italian shoes--you've gotta have good shoes for your launch party and signing, of course. And while we're at it, you might as well get an outfit to go with those cool shoes...

Disco Mermaids said...

Hmm...lattes in L.A or lattes in Italy...

I'm thinking! I'm thinking!


:-)

-Robin

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!! Way to go Robin. Please tell me you'll still want to celebrate when I come to visit in just two short weeks! But, I want tequila shots and . . . um, maybe I should watch out for the Blog Police and not finish that thought, right Evie?!?!?! Lamy

Disco Mermaids said...

Hey, Lamy!

I'm so excited about your visit! We'll definitely be celebrating. Maybe with tequila shots while watching a movie marathon of Sixteen Candles and The Jerk. (Hopefully that will get past the blog police!)
:-)
Robin

Don Tate II said...

Congrats, I'm sure they'll make it up to you.

Anonymous said...

Robin, I cannot wait! See you soon. And I'm totally serious, asswipe. Lamy

Sarah Stevenson said...

Yay, congrats! You give me hope for finishing my own rewrite, which got stuck in limbo for a couple of weeks there.