Monday, July 14, 2008

18 Days...Si Se Puede! -- Eve

Yes, it can be done.

After briefly chatting with Suzanne Young the other day via email about her numerous books, and the fact that she can crank out a first draft in 4 days (yes, I said 4 days!) I felt motivated. And, admittedly, slothful, lame and inadequate. But mostly motivated. Makes my 18-day deadline seem quite silly...and attainable!

Turns out my procrastination tactics have all been thwarted by a minor injury I had last week. Running...not allowed. Hot tub...can't get wet. Sleep...hurts too much. Softball...not gonna happen.   All I can humanly do is sit and write. The situation over the last few days has taught me that I really can keep my butt in the chair and write a crap-load of words. I mean, a lot of words. And all strung together they even seem to make some sort of sense! At this rate I really think, for the first time this month, that I'll meet my crazy deadline.

Special thanks to my new writing coach, Eric Elfman, who cracked the whip, Agent Laura for her everlasting patience, Greg "H" Guss, fellow Bruin who emails me motivational messages like, "Hey, I just wrote 10 pages during the America's Got Talent commercial break...what have you done?" and, of course, Robin and Jay for...um...generously bringing me all those buckets of Australian Kookubura Licorice (the red kind) from Trader Joe's and a keg of Diet Coke...I'm thanking you in advance because I know you two are going to show up any day bearing inspirational gifts. I'm waiting by the door...

Si Se Puede!

- Eve

11 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Four days???!!! Okay...I am feeling really bad now. Would the Bionic Suzanne please tell us how long she sits down and writes? Does she sleep, or eat? I am picturing bionic finger speed literally burning up the keyboard.

Good luck Eve! It seems your bed rest is indeed a blessing. Perhaps I need a good kick in the pants, or someone to whack my knees Tanya Harding style to make me sit still enough to write:-)

I am newly inspired.

Anonymous said...

You're so close!

Being bedridden, with a slight infusion of pain killers? The perfect combo for a finish!

Write away, Eve!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Keep going! Fingers crossed for no "omas."

You have to stop tanning? Oh my. Try Ocean Potion Skin Darkening lotion.

Disco Mermaids said...

Katie- seriously, I tried to calculate how many words per minute Suz must have to type to crank out a draft that quick...my calculator exploded!

Thanks, Jennie! But, no pain killers for me. That's how bad-ass I am. Actually, the pain isn't nearly bad enough for drugs (yet).

CW- yeah, I'm not actually a "tanner" because I get dark after standing outside for five minutes, but I probably should stay out of the sun as much as possible. Ocean Potion? Got it. Thanks!

Eve

Suzanne Young said...

Um... my rough drafts are only 30K, so maybe that helps?

And Eve, with so many people supporting (and harrassing) you, you'll have a great book soon!

Good luck!

Laurie Woodward said...

Now that's what I call a writer. Instead of wallowing in self-pity or obsessing with fear you are using this experience to make your work stronger.
You're an inspiration!
P.S. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Si piense se puede.
Si duerme se puede.

CJ Omololu said...

Hope you're back in shape to procrastinate soon!

I often wish for an illness that will keep me in bed so that I don't have to make the kid's lunches, clean anything or get up and do anything but not so serious that I actually feel bad.

Disco Mermaids said...

Hi Laurie!

Oh, make no mistake, I am wallowing in self-pity, especially because I was doing so well with my daily running regimen. Now the doctor says I STILL cannot play in my softball game this Friday. Waahhh...

Cynjay, you are funny! You were joking, right? Maybe not.

More self-pity...problem now is that I've discovered that the second thing I can do besides sit and write is EAT! I'm going to weigh 600 lbs by the time the conference rolls around and we have to don skimpy red-themed clothing.

Waaahhh! K, I'm done.

Eve

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Eve! I really hope your spot turns out to be nothing! I'm thinking of you. This summer makes 4 years Jim has been "cancer free" since his melanoma -- one more year is the magic number. The whole thing has radically changed my relationship to the sun! Lucky we live in Oregon now. It's so easy to be pale here! (I can't picture you pale, EVER!)

Go go go on that draft! You can do it!!!

Disco Mermaids said...

Thank you, Laini.

I didn't know Jim had melanoma. I'm so sorry.

My dad also had it a few years ago...so I guess that increases my risk by, I don't know, a lot.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to stay completely out of the sun...I'm pretty convinced that my damage was done long ago. Still, cannot hurt to be careful.

Thanks for the encouragement on the writing. I'm working really freaking hard!

How are your edits going?

Eve

Anonymous said...

Eve,

*hugs* Sending healing, good test result vibes your way. And...OMG! 18 days??? That's awesome. You can do it!