Monday, July 07, 2008

Yes, A Post About Pens -- Robin

I figured I could post about the state of our economy or the massive job layoffs across the country or the outrageous gas prices, but really, I’m more concerned about pens.

Since I’m in the middle of revising my middle grade novel, and since I’m the type of person who revises using the mark-the-paper-like-mad-with-red-pen method, I am very particular about my red pens. Very particular.

It can’t be felt or ballpoint or fiber or gel. And especially not quill. That’s just weird. I like my pens to be, oh…how do you say…the kind that move. You know, the ones that just glide across the page without any effort and spit out just the right amount of ink that is very visible, not too faint, and not too bold. Yeah, see, I had just that pen. Had! And I made it through almost fifty pages of revisions with such a pen. Then it up and left the planet. I can’t find it anywhere!!!

However, a new pen has come into my life. You see, my husband and I decided to take out a home equity line of credit [see opening sentence] and when the lady came to our house to have us sign the documents, she said, “Sign here…and here…and here…” Which I did, and then I realized that she had handed me the most wonderful, gliding, graceful pen on the planet! (Other than the one I lost.) I asked her where she got it and she told me Costco and then she snatched it from my hand.

So now that we have all this extra money available due to our new home equity line of credit, I went out and bought a value pack of 16 Uni-Ball Vision Elite pens. Twelve of which are black, three are blue, and one is red.

One.

Which means I’d better not lose this pen, too. Otherwise, I will be posting about the state of our economy and complaining about the lack of good red pens in this country!

-Robin

12 comments:

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Those Uniball's happen to be my very favorite kind of pen also.

You can get them at Staples and SOMETIMES, Staples does a 1 cent sale with them!!!!!!!!!

They also come in purple or pink or blue or green!!!

Katie Anderson said...

This is too funny Robin! I love knowing a great pen. I'm gonna go to Staples today and get some. Maybe it'll make me write :-)

Aahhh Magic pens...

Don't tell, but sometimes if I have to sign a credit card slip and I love the pen they give me, I will switch it and leave a crummy junky one from my purse.

Disco Mermaids said...

I've never understood you pen-freaks. But I think that stems from being disappointed as a child in those astronaut pens. They were supposed to write upside-down underwater. That's what it promised!

But mine didn't.

So now, just give me a Bic. I've never been disappointed in a Bic.

- Jay

Disco Mermaids said...

Dude, don't say Bic. Gonna hurl...

And thanks for the tip about penny sales at Staples. I'm there!!!

;-)
Robin

Anonymous said...

A good pen is one of my pleasures, too. For some reason felt tip in royal blue or red is the only thing I can use to prepare for a trial. Now I know what to get you for Christmas, Robin! Of course, I already found something for the three of you and it isn't a pen, but I think I can throw in a pen or two, too. Lamy

Jessica Burkhart said...

I'm a lover of Uniball, too. Or, well, I was until I spilled water on my draft and my purple Uniball notes were lifted away into a purple pool. Be careful! :)

SilberBook-Blog said...

Yes. I love those pens - they (the black ones) have become my new drawing pen in my sketchbook (the permanent ink ones - and the ones that won't leak when you fly - or say they say!)

...and Home Equity stuff....let's stick to pen-talk!

alan

Laurie Woodward said...

I am so there. If it doesn't roll just right it makes my sloppy handwriting even worse. Hey
Robin, if you are looking for joyful inspiration look at the dancing video one of the gals in my critique group found. This man went around the world dancing with strangers. Inspirational. Check it out at kritiquekritics@blogspot. I just watched it and it made me feel good to be alive. And for a while I didn't care about my sloppy handwriting.

Disco Mermaids said...

Laurie...wow! Thank you SO much for sharing that video. It was AMAZING!!! I think what struck me most was just imagining how and what he communicated to the people in order to get them to dance with such enthusiasm. What a cool guy. Very, very inspiring.

;-)
Robin

Kelly Hudgins said...

I adore those pens. Adore them.

Now if they would just write for me.....

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a good fountain pen. Talk about gliding across the page . . . I have a Lamy that cost me less than $30 at Fountainpenhospital.com and I fill it with purple ink cartridges . . . orgasmic. :)

Jodi

Anonymous said...

I'm picky about my pens, too. And a few of those have come my way from time to time, but they always seem to leave again right away. Of course, my husband is a notorious pen thief, so I think I know who the culprit might be. Ah, well. There's no changing him now. Congratulations on your find!