Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bonus Scenes -- Jay

There are several questions I get asked about Thirteen Reasons Why almost every time I do a school visit or book club event. One question concerns the characters (other than Clay) mentioned on Hannah's cassette tapes. They want to know how those people reacted to being singled out as reasons for her suicide. How did it affect them?

My answer? I have no idea.

Once I recorded...I mean, wrote...Hannah's words, and conveyed Clay's reactions, my contribution to the story was finished. Whatever happens outside of those 288 printed pages (or 5 compact discs) is entirely up to each reader.

But I won't disagree with the following two-part student project. In fact, I absolutely love their ideas...as well as how they're presented. If you haven't already read the book, don't be afraid to watch. Nothing will be spoiled for you. The only scene I wrote is at the beginning, when Clay first receives the package of tapes.

Everything else is brand new...and brilliant!

Part 1



Part 2


- Jay


P.S. Did you notice my book made two cameos? That is so cool!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Ha - Finally the MOVIE or maybe the start of the movie

Things just keep on getting better - Best to you Jay

Aaron

Anonymous said...

I just finished your book, and it was AMAZING!!! That is probably the best book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of books. I got it for my 13 birthday, haha, see why I may have gotten it for my 13?? I am writing this to propose to you, to write a sequel. I love writing and I am gonna write a sequel if you don't. But I'd rather read your version. You left me with such a hook, that I would totally enjoy another book like that.
But overall, awesome book.
Katie

Beth said...

You HAVE your idea for your next book-it's obviously the sequel, 13 chapter short stories, where each charachter talks about how the tapes changed their lives.